If you have existing stucco on your building and are considering applying new stucco over it, there are a few important factors to consider. In this article, we will explore the advantages and disadvantages of putting new stucco over old stucco/ We will also discuss common mistakes to avoid and how to ensure a good bond between the existing stucco and the new material. So, if you’re a homeowner wondering about the feasibility of applying new stucco over old stucco, keep reading for all the information you need.
One of the primary advantages of putting new stucco over old stucco is that it can save you time and money. Removing the existing stucco can be a labor-intensive and costly process. By applying new stucco over the old layer, you can avoid this step. However, it’s important to note that this is only feasible if the existing stucco still has sufficient structural integrity.
Before applying new stucco over old stucco, it’s essential to ensure that any issues with the existing stucco have been addressed. This includes correcting cracks and adding a leveling coat if necessary. Once all necessary repairs and preparations are complete, you can proceed with applying a new finish coat. This coat should have the texture and integral color of your choice. For a strong bond between the existing stucco and the new material, it is recommended to use a bonder which are natural or synthetic materials used to join the old and new concrete surfaces.
While applying new stucco over old can save time and money, there are scenarios when replacement is the better option. Read our guide on when it’s better to repair or replace stucco to make an informed decision.
On the other hand, there are also some disadvantages to consider. Over time, cracks may naturally form in any concrete-based surface, including stucco. If the existing stucco has significant cracks or has deteriorated, it may not provide a suitable base for the new stucco. In such cases, it may be necessary to remove the old stucco and start fresh. Read about the 5 signs your stucco needs repairs to know when to intervene.
Common mistakes to avoid
To ensure a successful application of new stucco over old stucco, it’s crucial to avoid common mistakes that can compromise the integrity and longevity of the stucco. Here are a few mistakes to steer clear of:
1. Insufficient Curing: Stucco needs time to dry and cure properly. Rushing this process can lead to quick deterioration and crumbling of the surface. Allow at least 60 days for curing, or more if the weather is unusually wet.
2. Ignoring Necessary Repairs: Don’t overlook cracks and holes in the existing stucco. These must be filled before applying new stucco to prevent further damage and the growth of mold.
3. Incomplete Cleaning: Proper cleaning is essential for paint adhesion. Pressure washing can remove dirt and grime effectively. If you’ve recently patched the stucco, ensure it has dried for at least 15-30 days before washing.
4. Painting On Wet Stucco: Stucco is highly porous and takes longer to dry. Wait until it is completely dry before applying the first coat of paint. Allow each coat to dry before applying the next.
5. Improper Painting Techniques: When it comes to painting stucco, using a roller or an airless sprayer is recommended. Brushes are suitable for detail work, but not for larger projects.
In conclusion, it is possible to put new stucco over old stucco under certain conditions. Assessing the structural integrity of the existing stucco and avoiding common mistakes is key to achieving a successful result. If you’re unsure about the suitability of applying new stucco over old stucco, it’s always best to consult with a professional stucco contractor who can provide expert guidance based on your specific situation. Proper maintenance is key for the longevity of stucco. Consider our summer maintenance tips for stucco to keep your exterior looking great all season long.
Whether you’re ready to breathe new life into your old stucco or embark on a fresh painting project, having a professional by your side can make all the difference. We’re proud to serve numerous communities with top-tier painting and stucco services. From Maple Ridge painters to Langley painters from Richmond painters to New Westminster painters, our skilled teams are ready to assist you. If you’re in West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, or Port Moody, our painters have got you covered. And don’t worry if you’re in Surrey, Burnaby, or Vancouver we have dedicated painters ready to bring your vision to life in these locations too. Get in touch with us today for a consultation and let us help transform your home’s exterior into something spectacular.