All Painting Logo
All Painting Logo
All Painting Logo

Is Spackling the Same As Drywall Repair?

What is Spackle?

Spackle is a ready-to-use compound that is used to fill holes and cracks in drywall, wood, and other surfaces. It dries quickly and can be sanded down to a smooth finish before paint is applied.

It’s a type of gypsum-based compound that is made with binders, gypsum powder, and water. It comes in pre-mixed tubs that are designed for different repairs and are available in a variety of weights.

Lightweight spackle is best for small dents and dings in walls, while heavier-duty varieties are suitable for larger repair jobs on plaster walls. It can be applied with a putty knife or a similar tool. It dries quickly and can be painted or stained as soon as it dries.

Before you apply the spackle, it is important to prepare the area around the hole. This will help the putty stick better and prevent the drywall from tearing when it’s applied.

To do this, use a putty knife or fine-grit sandpaper to clean out the area and make it as smooth as possible. You also want to remove loose paint and protruding fragments of the wallboard.

Both spackling and joint compounds are used to patch holes and cracks in drywall, but they work differently. The main difference is that spackle dries much faster than joint compounds.

Drywall mud or joint compound is usually sold in a liquid form that is mixed with water to create a paste-like consistency. It is typically used to cover large areas in drywall and is generally more expensive than spackle.

Another difference is that a dry formula is more resistant to extreme weather conditions than a wet formula. This is because a dry formulation doesn’t evaporate when exposed to heat or cold.

This can mean that a dry joint compound will last for several months longer than a wet one. Both dry and wet spackling can be purchased in small tubs that are easy to carry with you on home improvement projects.

Another difference is that some spackling products are sold in pink, which dries to a natural wood shade before it dries. This helps you know when it’s time to sand the surface, making the process much easier.

Both spackling and drywall mud are used to patch holes and cracks in drywall, but they work differently. For more details, check out our comparison between drywall mud and spackle.

How to Use Spackle

Spackle is a popular DIY product to fix minor holes, cracks, and dents in drywall. It comes in a variety of powdered or paste forms, and it’s usually sold in pre-mixed containers for easy application.

Before you can apply a coat of spackle, the surface around the hole must be smooth and clean. This includes scraping away loose paint and other debris that may protrude from the wall. You should also sand the area until it’s as smooth and even as the rest of the wall.

To begin, you’ll need to choose the right type of spackling compound for your project. The type you select depends on how big your repair is and what kind of bond it needs to have with the wall. Lighter spackle is typically made from vinyl and is ideal for smaller holes, while heavier spackle is made from acrylic and is used to fill larger voids.

Next, you’ll need to mix your spackling compound with water. Most pre-mixed spackle kits come with instructions on how much water to use, and some are available in powdered form that you can mix yourself.

You should start with a small amount of the mixture, and use a mixing paddle to stir it until you reach the desired consistency. You’ll want the mixture to be stiff enough that it sticks to your paddle when you remove it, but not so stiff that it’s difficult to work with.

Once you’ve reached the proper consistency, scoop a generous amount of the spackling compound out of the container and use your putty knife to spread it over the hole. Depending on the brand you use, this can take anywhere from several hours to 24 hours for it to dry completely.

Then, you’ll need to sand down the area with fine-grit sandpaper to ensure that the spackling compound adheres well. Finally, you’ll need to prime and paint the repaired area so that it blends with the rest of the wall. If you have a hole or ding that’s too large to repair with a spackle, consider using one of the many drywall patching kits on the market, or see if you should patch or replace your drywall.

When you’re done, you should have a new, clean-looking repair that will last for years to come! However, if you have a hole or ding that’s too large to repair with a spackle, consider using one of the many drywall patching kits on the market. These kits often include a 4-inch by 4-inch adhesive drywall patch that covers the hole. They’re a little more expensive than simple spackling kits, but they’re easier to use and don’t require you to buy as much spackle.

How to Repair Drywall

Spackling is a type of putty that’s used for small holes, scratches, dents, and gaps in drywall. This type of filler is lighter than drywall compound and is usually applied with a small putty knife.

When repairing small holes, it’s important to use a putty knife that’s made for drywall repair. This ensures that you’re smoothing the filler evenly and making it flush with the wall.

Once you’ve filled the hole, sand it lightly and then recoat it with a joint compound. Then sand again and apply primer/paint as needed to match the wall color.

For large holes or gouges in drywall, you’ll need to cut out the damaged part of the drywall sheet and replace it with a piece that’s larger than the hole. This project is a little more complicated than repairing smaller holes and requires more skill and attention to detail.

Before you begin patching, it’s important to clean the drywall, remove any loose drywall particles, and sand the area. This will make it easier to spread the spackling compound around the hole without removing any paint or causing damage to the surrounding walls.

Depending on the size of the hole, you’ll need to decide how big or how deep you want to patch it. If you’re unsure, ask a contractor to help.

For small holes, you can use a pre-mixed spackle that’s intended to be applied with a putty knife designed for drywall. This is an easy and fast way to fix smaller holes, but if you have a large gouge or crack in your drywall, it’s recommended that you use a heavier spackling compound and reinforcing mesh.

If the hole is larger than about 1/2 inch across, you’ll need to reinforce it with a piece of self-adhering fiberglass mesh patch or a drywall patch that’s sized to match the hole. You can attach the mesh patch using wood adhesive on each end, or you can omit it and screw the patch to the studs behind the wall (the wood that anchors the drywall sheets).

Once the repair is complete, fill the entire surface with joint compound and tap the edges with paper tape to hide any visible seams. It may take up to 24 hours for the joint compound, tape, and paint to dry.

When you’re done, you should have a new, clean-looking repair that will last for years to come! To learn more about how long your drywall can last, check out our article about the life expectancy of drywall.

What is Joint Compound?

Joint compound (also known as drywall mud) is made of limestone, gypsum dust, polymers, and other materials. It is commonly used to smooth out divots in wall surfaces and for repairing holes in drywall.

It can also be used to finish a drywall installation. It is mixed with water and applied to the seams where drywall is installed. It then seals the joints, creating a surface that is ready for painting.

Depending on the type of drywall you are working with, there are different types of the joint compounds available for use. The type you choose will have an impact on your project scope and how long it will take to complete the job.

Once your joint compound has dried and your wall is smooth, it’s ready for painting. Be sure to choose the right type of paint for your interior walls. Learn more about the different types of interior paint here.

Drying Type

This type of joint compound hardens through evaporation. This type is often preferred for embedding tape and other drywall layers.

Setting Type

This type of joint compound hardens via a chemical reaction with water, which makes it easier to apply and sets fast. This type is often preferred for applying a second layer of drywall to cover any imperfections that may have occurred.

Lightweight Type

This type of joint compound is typically lighter than drying types and will cure faster. It is also easier to sand and shrink more.

All-Purpose Compound

This type of joint compound can be used for all layers in a drywall process.

It can also be used to coat a drywall surface, which is particularly useful for preparing the wall for painting. It is available in a variety of weights and can be applied full strength or slightly thinned for the top coats.

Both joint compound and spackle are gypsum-based materials. However, they are not the same and have various formulations that affect factors such as dry time, shrinkage, and project scope. Understanding these differences will help you decide which of the two is right for your drywall repair or construction project.

Whether you’re using joint compound or spackle, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Those instructions are usually printed on the back of the packaging. If you are unsure what they mean, it is a good idea to ask a professional contractor for assistance before starting any home improvement projects.


Whether you’re tackling a home improvement project on your own or seeking professional assistance, we’re here to help. We provide expert painting services across numerous locations. If you’re in Maple Ridge, our Maple Ridge painters are ready to bring your vision to life. For residents in Langley and Richmond, our  Langley painters and Richmond painters are just a call away.

Are you based in New Westminster, West Vancouver, or North Vancouver? Our New Westminster painters, West Vancouver painters and North Vancouver painters are skilled and equipped to meet your painting needs. If you’re located in Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, or Port Moody, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Port Coquitlam painters, Coquitlam painters, and  Port Moody painters.

For Surrey, Burnaby, and Vancouver residents, our Surrey painters, Burnaby painters, and Vancouver painters are looking forward to helping you refresh your space. Regardless of where you are, our team of professionals is committed to delivering high-quality results. Contact us today and let’s make your home improvement dreams a reality.

Table of Contents

Services - Painting
Services - Repair & Prep
Services - Coating
Services - Covering
Specialty Painting
Service Area

New Westminster
West Vancouver
North Vancouver
Port Coquitlam
Port Moody